Thursday, December 19, 2013

12/18/13 - Training

 Warm up 
3 minutes of shrimping
3 minutes of 20s/10s (20 deep squats, 10 push-ups, repeat)
3 minutes of Croc walks.

Warm ups were light today, no reason given. We usually do quite a bit more.

Technique

Armbar/Omaplata setup from guard. Spider grips. Bring right foot down, stay off heel. Take left foot and put on their hip. Bring right leg up and across their back, clamping down. At the same time, you should be pulling your grips towards you. Punch your right arm towards your hip, setting up the omaplata. If the armbar is there on the opposite arm, take it. If not, continue omaplata. Bring your left leg around and over the neck, clamping down. Switch your grip on the sleeve, then use your right hand to grip the pants by the ankle. Straighten your legs and plank as your push your grip on the leg away. It's important to put your elbow over their calf. Small shrimp, bring your left leg to an a position and begin to sit up. Elbow stays connected to them as you, start to move your grip to their hip. Their hand should be tucked at this point, so you can release the grip. Go for the finish.

As I drilled this, I made sure to transition from the armbar, to the triangle, then to the omaplata. I had my partner escape his arm after the first tap to set up the triangle, went for that tap, then to the omaplata. 

Next up was a real senario application, which went over breaking the grips of when you're playing closed guard and the opponent has both hands on your hips, and grabbing the pants.

Get your grips on their sleeves. Escape your hip slightly to the right, and bring your right leg over into like a knee shield, but below chest level. Bring your left leg up a little. It sorta looks like a scissor sweep, but you're over their left arm. Make sure your hips are off the ground. Push their left arm. Swivel your right leg, keeping connected, and clamp it over the back, at an angle. Jump your left leg up for the triangle at the same time. The leg movement should've moved their elbow a bit. Can do the traditional triangle, Tony's triangle or all of the other setups from this position.

The drill worked well for me, and I this is something I want to do more of. Spent 6 minutes drilling.

Rolling

My academy rolls every day. Anyone who is not brand new must roll. Everyone is lined up on the wall. Our professor asked certain people who they wanted to roll with. A 4 stripe white belt named Julia picked me. She's about to be 17, and I've known her since she was 13. I spent 6 minutes trying to use the least amount of energy and only working technique. At the end, I gave up mount, and gave up an arm triangle to her. I defended by extending both of my arms towards my legs, then wrapped my hands around the back of my knee. Time ran out and Julia couldn't finish it. Our professor brought attention to this, and showed how to counter my defense. Instead of putting the pressure on the the outside of the trapped arm, readjust and put the pressure on the other side, using their inside shoulder. The choke was quick and I tapped immediately. Good to know. Also, there is an Ezekiel there.

The next two rolls were againt a one stripe white, and a 3 stripe white. I outweigh them by about 30lbs, and I have more mat time. I worked on my finishes, hit a few de la riva sweeps, until the end of each roll, then I gave up position to work out of it. I finished them with a few armbars from guard, triangle from guard, triangle from mount to guard, and a baseball bat choke. I need to focus on mount pressure, and getting higher up on their chest. I noticed I was having a hard time getting an armbar when they would just extend their hands up. I created too much space. I'm definitely too low when attempting it. Good to know though.

No comments:

Post a Comment