Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I'm back!

In January of 2011, I went through a really bad transition in life that included the loss of my job, and the beginning of the end of my marriage.

Due to financial reasons, I had to stop training. BJJ is a passion in my life, and has been for years. With great joy, I was finally able to come back to my academy. Almost 3 years of progress halted, but, as the poem Invictus reads, "My head may be bloodied, but it is unbowed".

I have been back for 3 months now, and I train 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day depending on people doing privates. Yeah, I let anyone know if they ever wanted to do a private, to let me know and I will be their dummy while our professor teaches them. I'll take any free knowledge I can get!

I am at a point now where my muscle memory is kicking in and I'm flying on a high. Everything I have been working on is improving a lot, and my gas tank has expanded to the point where 6 minute matches are no problem. While rolling, I have tapped all of the white belts, a few blue belts, and three purples. Whoa we got a badass over here! No, I don't mean to be egotistical, but I have also had my share of getting my ass whooped. I have definitely been tapped more than I have tapped, and I don't feel that I should be anywhere but where I am now. I am just happy to see such progress in the few months I have been back.

I am 6 weeks away from my first competition in 3 years. I will be competing at the NAGA in Philly on February 01, 2014. My gameplan is to takedown, pass guard, work a side control sub, or transition into mount for 3 of my finishes. I am keeping my drilling to a few moves, and perfecting them as much as I can. 

My New Years resolution is to win at least one gold medal in 2014. I am going to work hard to achieve that.

It's great to be back!



No comments:

Post a Comment