Sunday, May 23, 2010

Great Saturday Jiu Jitsu class!

Class yesterday was started by Ethan, a purple belt whom I met on my first trial class and haven't seen since. We started with some stretching, which included a few yoga stretches that I have never done before, which I enjoyed and will make a part of my routine. We then did 5 sets of 10 pushups and sit ups. After that was done, we did an armbar drill to get our hips set. I was a little sloppy during it and got some pointers.

Brandon then enters and we started from side control. Bottom person uses their outside hand to reach over the back, grab the far lat, then take their inside hand and push off the hip. Bring your feet out then bring your inside knee into their stomach to start reclaiming guard.

Top guy then takes his outside hand, reaches it over, to where the bottom guy's inside leg is, grab the foot/ankle, press it in, then flatten your hips and pass back into side control.

If the top person does not do this, and leans his weight over the bottom guy(say, by putting his foot up to pass), then the bottom guy sweeps into knee on belly.

From knee on belly, you execute the baseball bat choke. Take arm under the neck, and insert thumb into the Gi collar. Bring that towards the same side of that arm. Keep your other hand posted out or on the bottom guy's leg, to keep him from moving. Then you bring your outside leg out a little more for base, take your outside hand and feed it up the collar, palm up, behind the neck. Keep your elbow down and the pressure at a slant. Quickly spin towards north/south and the choke should be finished before you ever land in north/south. If not, head on chest, flatten hips and pull away and down? (don't recall the exact posture, because I finished the choke before ever getting there)

After class, we were given the opportunity to roll. I stayed with the partner I had, a guy in his late 40's, 50s maybe... A blue belt named Vecilli. He asked me if I wanted to help him drill something, I said hell yeah I did! He wanted to find the hole in a set up he had, where our instructor kept rolling out of when he got him in that position. We start in side control, me on bottom, where he has my arm in a figure 4, setting up for an armbar. He executes, and I roll out and into side control. We worked on it for about 10 minutes and after him fixing small positions and readjustments, he finished with either the arm bar or the kimura, rolling at about 50%.

He then asked me if I wanted to drill anything, and I then drilled the Scissor sweep. He gave me some pointers right away, and put me into positions where I couldn't use it. I naturally switched to grabbing the other side, going for a kimura, and he was impressed. He blocked it, but then I went for a guillotine. We somehow ended up with me on his back, and we worked on some positional stuff from there, which included when the top guy gets stacked from his back, how you can release your hooks and drop him back down, etc.

All in all, it was a great session and it celebrated my 3 month marker for training here.

No comments:

Post a Comment